Opportunity Knocks!

Opportunity Knocks!
I sometimes think that the death of a loved one, creates pivotal points where we spin into a new phase-some for the good, some for the bad. Death is always with us. Do we move forward, as we remember a beloved? Or, let it hold us back in decisions or get stuck repeating the patterns of grief?

The stages of grief spin through me, like a wild horizontal roller coaster. I don’t expect anyone to understand how I feel, but the “me, me, me” or waffling wishy-washy-ness that directly affects someone else...the insensitivity of some during such a hard time…boggles my mind! Not dwelling in grief, but timing can be kinder, when continued expectations are pushed your way. One thing I think you learn from grieving, is further empathy for others-even if you cannot possibly fathom exactly how they feel. One thing you also learn is to clarify, is to edit out bullshit & who & what you move forward with, and who/what you don’t. There are many excuses for being indecisive, or sitting in a corner and doing nothing, none that are acceptable to me. Own it, live it, do it! It is hard when you realize that death or the end, occurs in the “living” too. Sometimes, you just need to step off of the ride.

A friend sent me this-it is very timely. I’m not getting over my Mom or losing my bubbly Reve anytime soon-my memories and my grief will always be with me. But, life goes on and sometimes opportunity knocks, when timing is less than ideal. It doesn’t heal your heart, but it does give it another focus to look forward. There is always hope in new life!


I have been researching for several years, importing another dog from the UK, or lines from certain dogs/breeders abroad. A started dog is a small fortune! Often not raised in/or has lived in a home situation, so lots to catch up on in daily socialization or trying to meld into my group who do live all together peacefully. So, even if a dog is proven brilliant worker, still a crapshoot of “family” dynamics. A puppy, definitely a crapshoot.

During late winter/early spring, in the midst of all going on with my Mom, I learned of soon to be imported BC litter, bred in Wales by Kevin Evans, whelping here in the US. The sire is Kevin Evan’s ##Int Supreme Mirk.

The dam, a daughter of his other brilliant dog, Welsh National Ch & World Team Qualifier 2013-Jimmy.



The Dam’s mother bred by a man, whose lines show up behind some cattle lines here. Crazy to consider a pup, when I had beauties of my own planned? Maybe. But, an opportunity that knocked nonetheless. I

also have relatives on both sides of this BC litter I have-which was why I felt so excited to plan it. An outside line, brings in new opportunity...hopefully I do him justice. A lot to live up to, for that speckly little body. I hope he isn't "wasted" on someone like me...so much to do!!

I love my pups so much, hard to let them go…I grieve a little when they do. So, maybe this was self-soothing to consider an outside pup? The litter was double & triple booked, he was meant to be with me…a holy screamer!! No rest for the weary! Have I mentioned how perfect my own pups are? I hope to do big things with this pup. He was a leap of faith, for sure!

He is bold, brave, outgoing, demanding, a bit of a demon, tiny and when we got home from his first car ride with me, my sheep were out! Not a worry in the world, crawled right through the electronet, when Ffire helped them to return to where they should be. He tugs, he carries metal spoons like his big “brother” Scream!, he climbed both training planks outside, he can climb a 36” ex-pen,  he is a LOUD little beast…who already seems to be fitting in and follows me everywhere.
Funny, he has no recall. My babies at 4 weeks already do…so with the whole school of furry fish the first night, running around in the dark on the driveway, he began to learn the joy of running to the mama. He is very affectionate! He also needs to learn some impulse control and to quietly accept being crated…oh lord what was I thinking???? I am already sleep deprived from getting up to get my baby pups out to “go”. The screaming of this new little man might kill me!!! Just couldn’t ignore the knocking….He is well socialized to people & a good traveller! Nice little man :) He got to benefit from all the pup visitors the last few days, and is actually napping quietly in a crate!!!! Yay for me!

Meanwhile, never a dull moment with the baby pups! Even though the Aussie boys are a week behind-they are strong, active, investigative little men! They remind me of the characters from a movie like Men in Black-all wearing dark suits, all moving with purpose in formation, but sometims their minds seem like they've been zapped by the aliens and are blank...like where are we going? :) They are all very even in temperament, none that seem braver or shier. All pups, Aussie & BC very interested in the tons of visitors we have had! They are everywhere! They all like water, gave them a low tub to plop into to…

I write now while they nap. Like a new mother, I should also be napping-but the damn sheep knocked down the electronet again this morning-which I hadn’t hotwired & the woolies know, in case one of the babes explored too far and touched it. Work to get done, luckily can be here a lot right now-but fencing at the top of the list. Uggh…running through morning dew in the woods in flipflops, not my idea of a morning wake-up. Ffire was pretty sure I wanted them off the road though, thank dog! Had not hotwired the fence, now it is...pushy woolies! 

Pup fence play-yard completed & just in time as their need to explore blossomed. So warm & humid, don’t like them outside for long, and deer flies are nasty too! Cooled off a bit the last couple days!! Pups have had many more visitors, super hot weather upset their bellies a little or something came in on someone's shoes-so keeping things low key for a couple days. Vet check nothing major, baby immune systems just take a hit harder for a day or so. All perked back up, a couple of the older dogs a bit off-must be some 24 hr. thing. Like kids, not living in a germ-free, antibacterial everything world and eating dirt/being exposed to small bits of "junk", builds better immune systems!

They are all going out to “go”…of course some accidents & hard to maneuver all out the door quickly, the house is getting a daily bleaching….but very cool to see how agile & quick they are becoming. Up and down their little plank on stairs for the littler ones like Trout, and hopping up and down for the bigger one. Lots of visual awareness kicking in tracking & grabbing tug toy, the broom, etc. Did I mention I’m exhausted?? J

Popular posts from this blog

Mindset

The World goes round & round...ORBIT

New Zip Codes