Pick o' the Litter!

This is the hardest time for me, heading into the final days/weeks with the pups. So freakin' exhausted can barely think or move by the end of the day, but love them immensely! Emotional time, have to start to detach, but know that all the effort and work put into them gives them the best start, to begin their new lives with new loving people. 
Also know I will get to see many of them, whether in real life or online. Love seeing them grow up and bring joy to their people, as they learn and do fun stuff together. 




The weather has continued to be crappy rain, but just enough sunny days to get in many puppy field trips out and about. It really helps pups so much to be able to hit the ground running, in new environments and meet lots of new people. At home is good, but social skills and learning to adjust is part of helping them grow to be stable and resilient. 

They are waking up early to go outside to "go" 4-5 AM comes quickly!!! I guess I could do what others do and put them in a puppy "cottage" or pen, but nope they are literally raised in a home, so they learn all the things related to it, including going to a door to go outside to "go". Gets messy when have to be gone for time for work, but they are really good about moving like a school of Fish and rushing them to go outside. 

So, people ask me how I pick a pup that stays. That's easy, I picture all their faces and the one I tear up at the thought of leaving and can't imagine not seeing all the time, is the one I can't live without. I'm sure other people are far more logical, okay good luck with that. My dogs are not part of a "breeding program" nor do the mamas get moved on as soon as they are "retired". The next pup will be training in something and hopefully enjoy life with us. It limits having a houseful yes, and dynamics are important so some choices made, but in general no. These pups are 4th generation, I see their grands and great-grandma in them, pretty cool. 

So, the other usual question is how do you decide who goes where? There is no "picking order" for the litter-while asking for feedback on who someone might be falling in love with, spending an hour or two is not the same as 24/7. I think the pups change so much from 5-8 weeks, it is even crazier breeders who let/want people to choose at birth. There is NO way you can know who a pup is until they start to show themselves. I also think a picking order creates competition "I got 1st pick!" blahblahblah, and has less to do with clicking with the "right" pup. My goal is that everybody goes home with the pick of the litter! Because, that pup is perfect for them! They are all the best puppy, for the right person. There are no "leftover" puppies-things change, stuff comes up. The last pup available may be the best pup for someone, but has not found the right person yet. 

Prior to 6 1/2-7 weeks, mostly seeing a instinctual responses like social approach-which is great! But, when the first fear period starts to hit and pups are now in the learning phase, that tells you more about them. These pups have been so easy!!!! A lot to handle and doing individual crate training, one on one sessions to help them learn how to learn, field trips etc are taking away a bit from the older dogs-but they all get what they need. Soon, it will be quieter again-will miss them so much! But, I get to start working with my pup and continue the big dog's training/competing and that is something to look forward to.













Popular posts from this blog

Mindset

The World goes round & round...ORBIT

New Zip Codes