Analyze this!


Analysis Paralysis

I think that I think too often, to the point where sometimes it feels as if my brain is in an endless spiral of thoughts. I spend a ton of time looking at pedigrees and trying to analyze & predict (guess) what risk factors are, and will be for a cross. It is sometimes hard to feel OK with a decision. In this case about dogs, of course! Border Collies are generally a super healthy breed and longer lived. They do have some genetic issues, both predictable and those that can pop up when not expected. I miss having my Mentor, that I could talk this stuff through with, so try to reach out to others who I know have experience, when I have questions.

The saying “you don’t know, what you don’t know” applies to so many things, including being a breeder. You can try to know, but the info isn’t always there. After-the-fact analysis of temperament and genetics in a cross is also just as, if not more important-some people I respect share that info too. It is really hard to take a hard look in the mirror, but celebrating a successful decision is also awesome! Knowing when it is best to move on or choosing a different path is also part of it and IMHO the responsible thing to do. That can come from trial and error experience too.

If you are new to it, and don’t have the experience, trying to research and gain knowledge can be hard-there is so much more out there to learn, than an online database can provide. Having an experienced mentor is invaluable, if someone is open to learning and listening to knowledgeable advice. Even with experience, you can have regrets about decisions...

BYB and puppy millers never think of ANY of this! Profit at the expense of misery is their story. You can’t “rescue” a dog from a petshop, you just supported the worst of humanity. Yes, you can rescue a dog from a shelter where we have dogs in the US that need homes! (why are we importing dogs from other far away countries?) I am all for adoption after working in animal welfare and fostering over two hundred dogs, but a little Terrier mix is not going to do the same job as a working Border Collie, but could be the perfect pet for someone. I know the mantra “adopt, don’t shop” is anti-intentional breeding, but why is supporting lack of spay/neuter by transporting pups north and random breeding, okay? One of my favorite foster pups abandoned on city streets developed distemper, it broke my heart. If she had been raised in a safe place, maybe she wouldn’t have become a statistic? Many may disagree, but I think there is room to support both rescue and responsible breeding. Just like with breeders, some rescues are “better” than others, retail rescue is also a sad reality.

Sometimes, the more you know, the more paralyzing it can be! Hopefully...especially in an attempt to produce healthy dogs with good temperaments and working ability, there is always room to learn and grow. There are so many layers to a dog, a pedigree is just a piece of paper but it is also a road map to what ability, traits and genetics are behind a dog. So, here I am at a decision crossroads, and pretty much thinking I am just going to go with my gut! Talking myself in circles is exhausting, and gets me no where. I know I am not reckless in choices, and always wanting to make good choices while thinking of the future and the people that will love that pup. I think instead of over-thinking, going to listen to what my gut is saying, just jump off the ledge, go for it! So, I think I will. Announcements coming soon...

Popular posts from this blog

Mindset

The World goes round & round...ORBIT

New Zip Codes