Silver linings, butterflies & rainbows...


12/21 UPDATES: Luckily nothing new to add to genetic issues, other than the newer, yet unpublished EOD (Early Onset Deafness) study/test that I and many Border Collie breeders have utilized since it became available. As part of a panel, it meant going back and re-testing many of my dogs, and as a result of discovering that Two Carriers had unfortunately been bred prior to the availability of this screening test-so far, so good! The test study and data has yet to be published, so until that is the case-it is another useful tool to use in planning breedings, but I am skeptical of why the Data has not been published, peer reviewed and publicly shared?? I am sure with so many testing their BC's, it is providing a greater sample base for helping try to identify more than the 4 markers currently in use. Hopefully, within this next year Wisdom/Mars will share that info, after buying out the original company. Right now, I wait. Careful, to use a clear/normal, but "show me your data" so I can trust the validity of how this test is affecting decisions by many us.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Maybe it's the Full Moon? apparently lots of angst and gossip and rumors flying around about many things right now. I try to avoid drama, so this is not meant to create more, but is speaking to those who don't know me. I only want the best homes for my pups and I value the honest and loving people, who love my pups and give them full and even lives.

As a breeder I will always take responsibility for what I have produced-both good and bad. And take a pup back at any point in their lives, sometimes situations come up for a person and they need to make choices. We have all been there in needing help in some way, at some point.

For those locally that know two dogs of my breeding from one household are living with new people right now, it was a good choice for them at a very difficult time and super kind people to help out. While I am also happy to help, I was not aware until arrangements had been made. It's all good! As one person who wrote "they could have ended up in rescue", well ummm no, they wouldn't have. The difference between a responsible breeder and BYB or online purchase, is this: Lifetime commitment.

Some folks spend more time talking about you, than to you. Try walking in my or that person's shoes for one day, or ask the questions before making assumptions. How hard is it to be kind to one another? You know what works? Talking to someone directly!!!

As a breeder I also try to share info on a cross both as future expectations, who the parents are in ability, temperament and genetics and also analyze and over-analyze past results of a cross. I do not generally feel the need to do these "open letter" types of posts, because really a conversation covers it-but when I hear there are lots of conversations going on without me, as I prefer to be direct and open and share facts, I am talking to you now. So Hi!

Yes, the longer you breed no matter how careful you are, things will pop up. I have started over with certain lines, a few times. When I bring in an outside dog, can't always know 100% what they will produce. That is in part why I stick to my own dogs and have worked on my line, as opposed to bringing in lots of outside dogs, like some breeders. I will carefully breed out to trusted friends or those known for being transparent. We also can't all know 100% what a cross may produce, if it is not a testable recessive gene, for example. This holds true of sound sensitivity for one. I have not had lots of dogs who are prone to over-worrying about noises, but have seen some pups produced from parents who they themselves show no worry. Like the case in some genetic issues, I think one trial learners like Border Collies (and Aussies), a pup may have a genetic predisposition for sound sensitivity, but a traumatic or repeated bad sound-related experience may cause them to become afraid.


Nutrition and environment can also impact a pup in utero, as well as once born. Live and learn from having fed raw from one co-op a few years back. Likely the source was less than stellar, as my dogs started to experience Reproductive issues, mysterious infections and produced our first overshot jaws. A first in another similar anomalie-not quite a cleft, but a form of midline defect.

Eye stuff: Two pups raised in the same area also were diagnosed with Pannus-a first for me. Intense UV light triggers an auto-immune reaction and eye issues are a result-while this is a common genetic malady in GSD, I am not sure it is that common in BC? I have read in higher elevations and down south you see it more (pun intended) but either way, none in that litter will pass on their genetics, nor were their parents bred again. Some ocular cholesterol deposits that are not progressing or limiting in 2 dogs related to them also, so must be a correlation somehow-maybe to retinal folds as babies? I don't know, but either way not continuing to breed on that risk, seemed sensible and responsible to me. At age 7 1/2 one was weaned off eye drops awhile back successfully, the other continues to do well (from last report).

Epilepsy: I have also produced an Aussie pup with seizures. One offspring/sibling that went back to the stud dog owner I had no control of and was bred, the others were not and their Mom spayed at the time. I have also produced a BC pup. Heartbreaking for me and their people, but none in that litter will or have reproduced, both parents were also taken out of the gene pool. Sadly, I have also produced some early cancer which ended my time in one breed, forever. Just no way to predict how it is inherited or why, so while others breed away blithely, I removed myself from that gene pool. While they are other breeders that I see breeding on close risks for deafness, seizures, eye issues there is no DNA test for or weird temps, if I am aware of such a risk-I try not to pass those genetics along. On the PLUS+ side, have been very lucky with producing good hips, generally pretty fabulous temperaments, good vision, hearing and general good health in my dogs. So, what else? Seriously, just trying to do my best.

AND....this is the part that no matter how successful a dog is, or how popular...there really is no way to provide a Genetic "Guarantee" that a pup will be perfect. Some will be thinkers, some will be doers, some will have more extreme fear periods, some will be easy to raise. Some will learn quickly, some will not. They are living beings, not robots. 

Not that I "think" too much, HA!!! It got me thinking about the whole dog-game. Dog people are funny, not comedic HaHa funny, but odd and quirky funny. Competitive spirit can make the nicest person a beast. When I find myself mired in gossip as in recent days, my first thought is how sad for that person/those people-especially if that person was someone I once considered a friend. What makes us lash out, with lack of integrity in our word? Negative words have long lives.

It hurts my heart to hear people who say they love their dogs (especially if one of my pups), but then hangs them out to dry as soon as anyone has a negative comment, or the person feels the dog has not lived up to their expectations. Aren't you a team, didn't you say you loved that dog? How can you let them down and yourself in the process, by allowing others to influence how you feel? If the dog is not up to the task, take ownership of that too. Are they able and ready for the pressures of competition-environment, our nerves, etc etc? How fast do you run? are you the fastest? Do you wear glasses or have balance or vision issues or are maybe a bit overweight? How would you feel if others endlessly picked you apart and criticized you? If a dog develops an issue, why is blaming the first thing that happens? Poor dogs, they know what you are feeling. 

We throw a lot at our dogs and expect them to adjust rapidly. As a breeder, I aim to produce resilient pups, that are brought along at a rate they can be successful. Good trainers realize this is part of the process for working towards a competition goal. Dogs also do their best. So, why do we subject our dogs to micro-analysis, especially by others? EDIT TO ADD: And as it seems to be confusing to some that this post is as much about me as a literary and collective YOU. "You" can also mean me, none of us are perfect or the best at everything-especially when our own physical maladies or limitations get in the way. None of us are perfect nor are our dogs (yes repeating that) and we all have our own journey and goals. You leave a trial with the same dog that you arrived with, they still love you.

In our minds we are all running faster than the wind in agility or a master handling a dog & sheep around the field. But really...How many of us are really A level? I mean really A level?? 

There are truly some Rockstars in agility, sheepdogging and other venues, the rest of us are just the Chorus. I am happy in my little spot in what I do with my dogs-other than proving their abilities and giving them outlets, I quietly just do my thing.... Most of us are not National Champions or may ever stand on a box, we boost the truly shining stand-out Rockstar people, we are the crowd to rise above. We are in the race, but also in the cup, not the bubbles at the top. Be proud of what you accomplish! We all should be. But, if you suck...own it, don't blame your dog.

(I guess this part hit a nerve from the messages I got previously...)
How many of us are more minor league Rockstars, likely B or C or even lower, when it comes to our abilities as trainers and handlers, whatever venue. Agility, herding, whatever...I mean really? You can have an A level dog, but if you are a C level handler why are you even comparing your dog or yourself to those who are more successful, are better trainers, or can run faster and handle better than you, or just have that innate ability known as "timing", impeccable timing. Do you really love the dog you have, or do you think you "deserve" better? Why? Are you more special than me, or my dog, even your own dog, or anyone else? 

Why do we train and compete? if it is for recognition? well alrighty then...you will always be looking for external validation. If it is to do your best, pit yourself against your last "best", test your skills and enjoy your time with your dog and support them as a part of the team-Amen! If at your core you value yourself and your dog, forgiving yourself and them for any perceived or real "faults" as you test your skills or go about your day, then to me you are a real Champion, regardless of what results may be on the field or paper. 

Lots of memes float around about this topic of "love your dog first, not the sport" and other good stuff, all I can think of is "Just be kind". It is a sport, good sports-personship takes ownership of both the successes and the failures, without blaming the team-or in this case our dogs, or in some cases their breeders. We are all really trying our best, aren't we? 

I myself would say that I am a B or C trainer/handler, but if I am an A at a trial for one day, or one class-well Yay for us! But, that also doesn't "define" me, nor do other people. The big eyes looking at me with love, at the end of the day, tell our story. Be kind to your dog and one another.  








Popular posts from this blog

Mindset

The World goes round & round...ORBIT

New Zip Codes