Socializing a puppy in a pandemic...Part 2

Summer is here, sort of. Frosts and the heat on a few days ago in NH, then 85F+ this past Friday. The world is slowly starting to open, as Covid-19 cases are not increasing in most states in the US-but still a concern. I think everyone is just stir crazy after 2+ months of stay at home. Working has been hard during this time, but as an independent contractor, no handouts here. The pups have kept me sane and out on the trails, accomplishing health goals, while also providing them variety of environment. We have seen a lot of empty mall parking lots as great walking places, as ticks started to swarm in the woods. Those are starting to get busy again. I miss the beach, but with Memorial Day those that are open are now mostly off limits to dogs. After 5 PM okay for some...but waiting for self-quarantine rules of crossing state borders to lift. I miss working sheep and going to agility class, I think the dogs do too. 

My one pup Purple, is now 6 1/2 months old. It has been a tough time for her, not having the variety of experiences I would hope for, but we have made strides in our building our bond. She has turned on bigtime for training, an online class that had one nugget of info helped us so much. An Epiphany of sorts as I started to think about it in terms of what I had with this pup-a HUGE working bubble that was hard for her to come into pressure. I have not had a pup who didn't lure into a heel position, or lap turn, hand touch, or in general for a very long time. There was an invisible wall she felt, that literally stopped her in her tracks. I remember my perfect girl FFlur would have to "lie down" and I went to her, for recalls initially.  She couldn't come through the group to me, or past her invisible zone that encircled me, it was not that she was belligerent-her instincts overrode "obedience". We got there, but as a pup and young dog, she just couldn't. 

So, in my thinking about socializing a pup, building us as one, as a team, is my goal. I want my pups to always know I have their back, and I had let her down at the last puppy class. I think I broke her trust in me, she associated me with a very scary experience for her. I also was so ill when Purple was a baby baby, we missed this stage of natural bonding. Anyone can teach skills to a pup, but does your pup see you as their safety zone and reinforcing? If anything is most important in socializing your pup to the world, this is it. 

So my Epiphany may seem minor to some, but what the instructor had as one exercise on our online class, was "personal play". No toys, no food, just you and your pup playing. Something clicked with my little black beauty! She loves when I say to her "who's my baby Purple puppy?" and rub her sides-so that became the beginning of our play. We also started circle work (from past Shape Up Pup class), which in a few sessions not only helped her be close, but chasing the mama and then getting personal play at first, then a tug toy as we progressed-was HUGE for her. Lap turns and fancy stuff can come later, for now we are working on building our team. 


I have worried about her dog social skills, and think it will be a work in progress when we are back out and about more. I think this will be an issue for many Pandemic puppies. From safe distances she has seen other dogs, but not the same as being in a class, etc. So, I got her her own puppy! It was not planned but I have been looking for several years, for the right lines and type of pup and he called to me. He arrived this past Friday, got off the plane and bonded instantly. Luckily flights that allow pets have started up again, he wasn't supposed to arrive for a few weeks. He has the potential to be a nice working dog with his lineage, but already climbing on planks and hopping through tire/over 4" jumps-yikes! My crew all get along, they accepted him immediately. Dynamics are always important to me, he completes them in some way, hard to say. Think he's been here before...



The best part of this fluffy cuteness, is that Purple absolutely loves him! I worried about that, she seems to have grown up overnight as the "big" sister and her eyes sparkle when she plays with him. He will be a blast! Yes, another pup to socialize-but we hit Agway and a few other stops yesterday, he is a friendly little dude. So, my plans for him continue as with Purple-Variety of places and people (using a 10' lead helps to maintain social distancing). Socializing your puppy in a pandemic, also keeps you connected to the outside world. I know I am an introvert, but I miss people! I feel like I have had more conversations with strangers, than ever. I think we all miss people. With a friendly pup who wants to explore, they do most of the "talking"...so if you got a puppy during this time, you need to get out there! Yes, it is scary and I know some people who have not left their house in 2 months, I get it-some areas have huge numbers. We have been luckier in NH, but after this Holiday weekend of seeing lots and lots of away state plates (VT and Maine have a mandatory 14 day self quarantine if you enter the state, NH does not...Live free or Die) hoping we don't see a spike in 2 weeks....but wear your mask, be careful and it will be okay. Even if you just drive to a parking lot and let them view the word safely from their car crate, or do a drive-thru with the pup on your lap briefly, they need to see the world, before that socialization window closes. Stay safe & be well!!!








Popular posts from this blog

Mindset

The World goes round & round...ORBIT

New Zip Codes