Aliens & Puppies

 

Loon is 4 1/2 months. She has had a minimum of 100 new things in 100 days...but, I reminded myself the other day, that we were falling into a socialization pattern. Yes, she has been many places and seen or met many new people and dogs, but often it was in places we have been before. 

I know this, but was falling into my own behavior trap of repeating what had been successful for us. Variety of experience really makes a difference in socializing a pup. Especially as they hit new developmental stages. 

A few days ago, Loon entered the retinas are attached to the vocal chords stage. Or, as I call it the "Aliens have stolen my puppy" stage. She has a lot of drive, and prey drive is especially kicking in (Birds overhead, planes, leaves flying on the wind, etc) which also means she is more hyper aware of environmental changes...like any real Border Collie should be.  While a complacent or non-reactive puppy may be normal for many breeds, most BC's are going to react to new things, that is what their DNA tells them to do-they are supposed to be visually aware of nuances in motion and general stuff. How they react may differ amongst them, but if they don't notice new things I will wonder what their working ability will be. 

It is normal for a pup to hit another fear period around 4-5 months. Loon never had an overt one at the usual 8-10 week stage. So, in my experience at this developmental period with teeth falling out and legs sprouting I have found they might have a VERY obvious fear period at this age. Context becomes very important to them at this age. What it "looks" like has changed for them. Garbage cans are hiding monsters, now.

I am not worried about it. Her reactions are new, but it is not who she has been or predicts that is who she will be, either. We will get through it, with easy and positive ongoing exposures to the word at large. I don't try to train through it. Mostly, I just let them be and show them by example of approaching a scary large back-lit Arborvitae or fire hydrant, that it really isn't scary. I use the jolly routine and touch the "thing" if I can. Loon's bounce-back is quick. 



A couple of things I reminded myself of this week: 
.She has been on a bunch of hikes and walks in new places, but often with one of the adult dogs. Going alone is a smaller percentage lately, so we will up that. It is important for her to continue to build her own confidence, away from the group.

.Switch it up! We live in a very rural area and have not walked along a city street in a couple weeks-she was pretty sure that fire hydrants were new (she has seen many since 8 weeks) and they needed to be told to stay still, as she huffed and puffed, marching up to them. After I greeted 3 hydrants in a row, on our walk back along the same route an hour later, she wagged her tail at the first hydrant, approached calmly and sniffed it like a friend. So, not only is she hitting a stage but is also showing me she is Wicked brilliant with an amazing memory. BUT...Whoever said Border Collies were normal?

.Size matters! Outlines and silhouettes of things and people look different in different lighting and places. Loon sits and loves to be petted by strangers, but a guy popping up unexpectedly on an empty trail above us, was to be woofed at. Yup, it was "new" and he looked almost like a cut-out silhouette on the horizon. In that case, I'm not going to go touch a stranger, especially in this time of Covid-19, but I did redirect her focus to playing with me and tugging a stick-to help her to change her emotional temperature. 

.VARIETY!!! We all repeat behaviors that work for us and this includes how we train and socialize our pups. I have a box of tools I am comfortable with. I am reminding myself to step out of that box at times. 

.Clean it up! They are sponges. Literally. They are learning, even when we are not teaching. So, I need to pay more attention to what she is paying attention to, more so at this stage. If her eyes are on something, mine should be too. If she needs support getting used to something new, I should know it BEFORE she reacts. A slight change in weight distribution (forward or away), a flick of an ear, a tightening of a facial muscle...these all or one usually precede a "response". So, a note to myself to be more observant, to help her through this new visual stage. 

.She will be fine. We will be fine. If you are easily embarrassed in public, don't get a Border Collie puppy. 











Popular posts from this blog

Mindset

The World goes round & round...ORBIT

New Zip Codes