Crossroads

Never really thought about what the term "at a crossroads" meant, until I find myself at one. Yes, lots of introspection isn't always good, but sometimes it is. Looking forward, while looking back and figuring out the next plan, step, destination, etc. and probably doing some things differently. Change is scary, but also good! This past year and half with Covid  and other roadblocks creating a standstill in life-has left me with the need to move out and move on. Somewhere, somehow. Just try something new and get on with it.

It is amazing how stripping down to basics and letting go of "stuff" frees you. I also find myself at a crossroads with some of my future dog plans. I will never move forward on lines/crosses that I feel have some temperament or health issues, but it is always interesting to me how a different person or environment, can create such different results in a pup, while others from a litter are doing fine. Some for the better, some for the worse. I think it is a 4-way split in which road a pup takes, based on genetics, but also experiences. I think the biggest quantifier comes in how we listen to our pups. Do we push our agenda's on them too fast at times, they hit an oversaturated dip in the road? Or, maybe at times it just isn't a good fit? 

Those of us that love to train, usually have a destination and goals all set up in our minds, before we have even brought a pup home. What if that pup can't possibly fill that road to our needs, they might be slower to mature or disinterested or lacking in working instinct. What do we do with that? I think that is a journey most of us have taken at some point. 

I won't force a pup to do anything, that they seem to not be keen about. If a pup is just disinterested at first, that can usually be worked on, by building positive associations and a bond through a working relationship. I don't ascribe to the social isolation mode to get a pup to want to work with me, but rather make myself the predictor of fun stuff happening. 

But, what about the pup who is too shy or sensitive or shutdown with the least amount of pressure? or the pup that is truly an independent soul and could care less about working with or for you? Both are kind of on auto-pilot flip sides of the coin, where you're just the passenger. With some pups on the more sensitive side, I have found they just need time. They will not be rushed. I personally do not like working with hard-headed dogs who never open the door to me. Maybe I'm lazy, but I don't want to be a hard trainer myself and getting inside the head of a dog who could care less about me, is not rewarding for me either. A good fit is as important to me, as I think it is for a dog. I also don't think it's cool to just give up on a pup, when they don't fit our immediate expectations. But, what if it really isn't a good match, what do you do with that?

So, as I focus forward on some new plans in life, also taking stock of the faces facing me now. Many of them are greying and aging, they have earned their years on the couch. Some are shining and bright eyes asking what's next? A couple are reluctant travelers on our road together, so mapping out possibilities of what's next. Only room for so many passengers, before you become a distracted driver. Changing direction isn't always bad, as long as you use your *Blinkah! 

*(Blinker for you non-New England types)





Popular posts from this blog

Mindset

The World goes round & round...ORBIT

New Zip Codes