Premack this~Herding

Yesterday started out like any day. It was suddenly freezing again after a milder spell, but off we went on a long drive to work sheep. Just Maven & I, focusing on her for the day. As we headed south, the frozen icy tundra of NH gave way to brown grass and a weak sun, trying to peak through greyness. Still bone chilling cold. 

I admit I was nervous. A new to me trainer, recommended by a friend. The last few dogs I have started with other trainers, it has not always been pretty and definitely not always positive in training. I didn't know what to expect, but as we drove, in my cold-chilled bones I was excited about starting her and felt like it would be a good experience for both Maven and me. I had no doubt about her instinct and ability, but have waited with her, as I wanted that chance in hell of her working with me, not in spite of me. She is a strong minded, but cool headed and friendly pup-I am so glad I stuck by her to build our relationship. 

So back to the day...Arriving to a beautiful farm, tucked away in an area of quintessential New England homes, my friend met me there with her more experienced dog. After talking a bit, we were up first. It doesn't matter how long I have trained or who with, every single time I step into a new pen or field, I feel like a beginner. And a klutz, trying to follow what they are telling me to do. Learning a new skill or different way to do something is stressful. Working stock is a dance that you can't predict, especially with a very strong and intent pup on the other end of the leash. I was most hopeful to not have a trainwreck of intense pup creating a sheep tornado and smashing paddles/whips/big bags et al to "teach" her to keep out off of the sheep. 

Our lesson started with "don't drag me to the sheep", just getting past holding stalls full of sheep to the gate we were going to enter, was our first task. In the past I have had people say tap the ground in front of their nose (with whip/stock stick) or,  give them a leash correction until they give, etc. for pulling. I felt myself starting to fall back into that, but I hate that! This trainer said Nope. 

She wanted me to connect with her, in order for Maven to respond and in turn relax pressure on the leash herself. As Maven was quietly, but intently staring at sheep that were everywhere-puppy brain exploding, I still felt the glimmer of our connection. This trainer wanted me to Premack access to the sheep! As soon as I realized who I would be working with, I was no longer nervous-other than the klutzy, learning disability processing part. 

R+ trainers know what Premack is...but to sum it up quickly, if you aren't familiar: 
"You give me this, I give you that". It's a negotiation with your dog to gain access to something that they want. I have been Premacking Maven's access to the river for months, as part of building our working partnership. She is part Otter or Fish, swimming or jumping into the river is a huge reward for her. Our puppy recalls on a long line started at the river. When she responded to a "come here", no cookie or even possibly her beloved frisbee need apply here...a "go swim" was her ultimate reward. Could I have accomplished this with the "Come to Jesus" method, yes probably and faster-but with this independent pup who is also very logical, that would have made less sense to her and not make me happy being an ego-asshole of a trainer. I want training of my dogs to build our relationship, not "establish" any hierarchy crap or harm the bond I am building with them. Do we live purely positively? Nope, yelling happens when they are jerks, but that is a small % of life. Positive training doesn't mean you are a wimp, just a different mindset to build them, not tear a dog down. Some corrections happen naturally in herding. But training doesn't have to suck the soul and try out of a dog.

The first time in the pen, I watched. And, I felt total trust that nothing hugely aversive was going to be done to my pup! Herding is rarely purely positive, but it can be more LIMA-esque. I saw lots of good learning happening, as Maven quickly figured out "I give you this, I get THAT!!!" This was also the first time in her just turned one year old life, to work with someone else, so that was really cool to see her willing to partner with a stranger. 

After a rest and watching my friend's dog, we were up again. This time I took her in, after working on getting some attention back onto me and looser line getting past the holding pens and at the gate. Back to the feeling klutzy part-I was learning new stuff, even in how the trainer wanted me to hold the line. Sort of got that part figured out and I will say I did all the stuff I know I shouldn't-watching my dog instead of the sheep, etc But Hey, I am only human. There were moments that "that'll do" really meant something to her and I felt the beginning of what our journey will be. 

We Premacked our way around that pen and there was a lot of errorless learning going on too. The sheep weren't stressed, my pup wasn't stressed and other than the me trying to figure out new stuff klutzy part and not tripping over the long line-I wasn't stressed either. All in all a great first "real" experience on sheep, for Maven. Of course, just the beginning, but I am very glad I waited until I felt like I could get into her brain a bit, to officially start her. I am really excited to be working with someone who is going to help me bring out her best, by showing her what we want-not by slamming things in front of her and yelling. It may be Winter, but we go back next week. 

Protecting stock is important, but I also think that teaching a pup self-control to gain access goes much further in their learning, than just slamming away with props. It actually makes me sad when I watch some people's videos. Poor dogs are disconnecting from the sheep because they are told they are wrong over and over. But, I digress-back to the positive. There are lots of ways to teach a dog a skill. I think using the Premack principle is a pretty powerful one. 

There is one other trainer I have worked with who also uses a similar Premack and connecting with your dog method as to what we did yesterday, but not teaching regularly these days. Loved working with them and greatly respect them. That trainer said to me years ago "It's all in there" about my pup, after a training day. Yesterday, this trainer said the same thing about Maven. My heart might have burst a little. I think about her Great Grandma Fflur, who she reminds me of and I still miss to this day. Maybe there is just a little part of Fflur in the Brilliant One. We shall see. Lots of work and training to do, but I am SO looking forward to it. 





























Popular posts from this blog

Mindset

The World goes round & round...ORBIT

New Zip Codes